What is Corona Virus (COVID 19)
Corona viruses are a large family of viruses that is responsible for causing a wide range of disease from common cold to some of the most severe diseases such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome and so on. A novel Corona viruses is a new strain of virus that has not been previously identified in humans before.
Corona viruses transmit between animals and people. SARS was transmitted from civet cats to humans while MERS was transmitted from dromedary camels to humans. There are several other known and may be unknown Corona viruses strains that might be circulating among animals that do not have the potential to be spread and transmitted among humans at least for the moment.
Where did Corona viruses come from?
As of 10/3/2020, the scientists believe that the novel Corona Virus originated in bats, but how it was transmitted to humans is unknown. It is thought that the virus somehow has infected another mammal and mutated to be able to transmit to humans. Another hypothesis is that the intermediary animal could be a Pangolin. It is a very popular animal in China for its meat and scales.
The health officials believe that the large animal and seafood market in Wuhan, China is probably the epicenter of this dangerous outbreak.
Symptoms of COVID 19
The common signs of infection symptoms include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, breathing difficulties, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure, pneumonia and so on. Most of the cases of corona Virus infection can be curable but people with low immunity levels might in very extreme cases face death.
The standard recommendation to prevent the spreading of the infection includes things like regular hand washing, covering nose and mouth while sneezing, ensuring that meat and eggs are cooked thoroughly and so on. Avoid close contact with people showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing, sneezing and so on.
Important things to note in the case of COVID 19
- Do not believe in WhatsApp and Facebook forwards. If you want to know something talk to a doctor near you. You could also refer to the official websites of the concerned government or the World Health Organization. These websites will help you get precise and professional information about your specific query.
- Never share information on any social media platform, as there is a high chance that the information you shared might be misinformation. Always confirm the authenticity of the information source.
- N95 Masks are not required for people who do not have COVID 19. Please listen to your local authorities’ information centers about the same. The supply of N95 masks is failing to catch up with the demand for the same. Help those people who really want the same.
- If you by any chance experience any of the above-mentioned symptoms, please make it a point that you inform the same to the appropriate authority who is concerned for the same. You could also at the same time look at the possibility of self-quarantine.
- Do not get panic as it will further cause chaos among people.
Who is most at risk?
As mentioned earlier the most cases of death are reported among old people or for people facing certain health conditions such as chronic lung disease, heart disease, diabetes, cancer and so on. Another reason for the high mortality rate relates to fact that in the early days of the outbreak people did not find going to the hospital an important task, they thought by consuming over the counter medicines they could control the symptoms of the disease to an extent, hence most people got admitted in the hospital in the advanced stages of the disease. This is one of the major factors that caused an increase in the number of death tolls.
How easily does the virus spread?
Disease-modeling experts have estimated that an infected person on an average might transmit this virus to about 2.6 other people on an average. The range of the same is usually between 1.5 and 3.5 persons. Public health officials believe that these estimates are based on the preliminary set of data. Change on the factors over time can further accelerate or decelerate the spread of the virus.
Is it safe to travel internationally?
The U.S. State Department has requested Americans to avoid going to Corona infected countries. Those who are in the Corona infected countries need to act with precaution. Stay in the house, exercise self-quarantine. Limit contact with others and follow CEC guidelines to prevent infection. Some airlines are offering cheap international flights to selected destinations make sure you contact the airline before booking the flights.
What can Travelers do to protect themselves from COVID 19
The precautions to be taken while traveling includes the following below mentioned measures:
- Avoid contact with sick people as much as possible.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Use soap to wash your hands for at least 20 seconds. You could also use a hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Avoid traveling at all costs if you are sick.
- Refer to the central of disease control and prevention website to learn more.
Are there drugs to treat Corona Viruses?
There aren’t any drugs and vaccines approved specifically for treating COVIS-19. As we speak the world is rushing towards finding a cure for this deadly disease. Clinical trials have been conducted in the USA and China to find antiviral drugs.
Could imported goods carry the virus?
Generally, COVID 19 are not known to survive that long on inanimate surfaces says CDC.
Is the virus mutating?
No, the virus has remained stable so far. This is as per the WHO and CDC.
Corona Virus is certainly a deadly virus, but we can prevent the wide spreading of the disease by following certain simple procedures and precautions. Make sure to always have hand sanitizes with you to protect yourself from diseases. COVID 19 like other Corona Virus can be controllable but it takes a constant effort from the society in the right direction to be able to achieve the goal. Flight booking should only be done after consulting with the airline or the travel agents as their are chances of cancellations.